Monday, April 27, 2009

When I say, "I am blessed...."

I've been working through something over the last several months. Every time I say, "I am blessed" it seems to be in reference to some "thing" I received or some wonderful event in life. Is this scriptural? Is this what it really means to be blessed by God? And when something difficult comes along, I seem to say, "blah, blah, blah happened, BUT I am so blessed" referring to other aspects of my life; because there surely could be no blessing in the bad stuff. I am not in any way suggesting that we don't have times of sadness or grieving. I am not making light of the hard times every one of us experiences. But God can bless us by the hard times. He can bless us by sickness, misery, financial woes, loss of a loved one. He can bless us any way He wants. When I'm open to the Holy Spirit's voice, I often hear, "This may seem disappointing right now, but I am protecting you from things you know nothing about."

Not too long ago, a friend said to me, "You have a good life," and before I could tame my tongue I said, "I am blessed." My initial thought was that I wanted to give credit where credit was due...to God. But in a way, I said to her, "I am blessed and you are not."

I also realize that sometimes the things we experience are a result of evil....deliberate evil, by evil people. Yet God is still in control. He will forbid and allow as He sees fit.

Genesis 50:20
"As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive."

I Peter 3:14
But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed and do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled...

I hope that some day I can get to the point where I refer to everything God allows to touch my life as a blessing.

James 1:2-3
Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.

13 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

Sharon, maybe it depends on the definition of "blessed." Is blessed something good? Or is it more than that? According to Ephesians 1:3 "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with EVERY spiritual BLESSING in Christ." Sounds like we are blessed by God in good and bad, famine and feast and everything in between. The Greek word used for "blessing" is eulogeo from which we get eulogy. It means favored of God (according to the Strong's concordance). In Matthew 5 (the beatitudes)it's a different word makarios which means "happy, blessed."

Interesting, huh?

Sounds like we are blessed and it has nothing to do with "stuff" or circumstances or feelings. So it sounds like you are correct in saying you are blessed. If we have a relationship with Christ, we are indeed blessed.

But I do get what you are saying, too. I think it's the way people tend to interpret "blessed." I struggle when people talk about God being good. Recently a friend's family member was very ill and recovered. The comment was that "God was good." Seems to me that the converse of that would imply that if the family member had died that God would NOT have been good. I know God is good regardless of circumstances, but I think we are quick to say that God is good when positive things happen .

Just my opinion.

Teya said...

God is always good and he always blesses us. I guess it depends on how you say "blessed". Yes, we are all blessed, but we don't think that when bad things happen we are blessed. It's complicated. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Teya said...

Gram, there are 2 new posts on my blog!

Teya said...

Gram, there is a new post on my blog!

Teya said...

There is another new post on my blog!

Teya said...

Has anyone bought any fireworks yet?

Teya said...

Gram, I fineshed my post!

Teya said...

There is a new post on my blog!

Teya said...

Gram, I changed my blogger template!

Teya said...

Gram, there is a new post on my blog!

Teya said...

Can you make a new post?

Unknown said...

I got a very useful and nice information with your blog. Thanking you so much for sharing such type of wonderful and reliable information and good collection.


Click on this keyword catamaran les| catamaran zeilschool| zeilles | catamaran cursus | zeilschool for getting more information about Catamaran sailing.

cmcotrading said...

blessings are real and we cannot fight for them though the world is not fair. When God bless us he makes sure all doubts in our minds are removed so as to realise and not to misuse them